
This poem came to mind this morning as I was getting ready. Thought I would share.
Crossing the Bar
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.
---Alfred, Lord Tennyson
I spent the evening with Mom and Dad last night. We commented on all the people who have offered condolences and wish to mourn with us. We feel that the Comforter is with us and it's a little strange to me that there really isn't sadness at this farewell. We feel that Paul has met his Pilot face to face and there is sweetness in that. We have the funeral still ahead, but even that I think will be more sweet than bitter. I went to sleep last night with the words from the hymn "Be Still, My Soul" in my mind. I want to leave the words here also. (Notice the ocean voyage imagery...I love it.)
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy condfidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Crossing the Bar
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.
---Alfred, Lord Tennyson
I spent the evening with Mom and Dad last night. We commented on all the people who have offered condolences and wish to mourn with us. We feel that the Comforter is with us and it's a little strange to me that there really isn't sadness at this farewell. We feel that Paul has met his Pilot face to face and there is sweetness in that. We have the funeral still ahead, but even that I think will be more sweet than bitter. I went to sleep last night with the words from the hymn "Be Still, My Soul" in my mind. I want to leave the words here also. (Notice the ocean voyage imagery...I love it.)
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy condfidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
2 comments:
Cathy,
We are so sorry about the loss of your brother. We will be keeping you and your extended family in our thoughts and prayers this week and in the coming months ahead.
Lots of love,
Brook and Arron
Cath,
I love the words of the poem and the song. It's very true how the comforter works. I remember when Boston died it was after the funeral that it hit Dana the most. This will probably happen with Dalynn but the comforter will continue to be their when at times it does get tough.
We love you,
Annie
Post a Comment