We have had a wonderful month. We have done so much and had such a great time doing it, that now I am down with a terrible cold. It's forcing me to sit down and rest and have time to finally update my blog. We have "The Sound of Music" on in the background (my favorite movie) and it really feels like heaven. After a quick visit to Idaho yesterday to see Paul, we brought his two youngest, Cameron and Jacob, home with us again. We have a great time when they are here and the kids are all busy playing with the Santa Claus train around the tree, the new games we got for Christmas, and their toys. Seven kids, but it all works.
Looking back over the past year, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all we have accomplished, all we have learned, and all we have been able to do. If anyone is looking for a good book to start off the new year, please take a look at our top ten. Some of them are books that I read, some Brian and I read together, and the rest are books we read with the kids. We just finished Heidi. It set the tone for the last month and has changed our lives forever. I guess that is the power of a classic. We have spent our month thinking of ways to serve others as Heidi did. It has brought so much joy to our family.
We had a great time sending gifts to Paul and his family for the "Five Days of Chemo" and then the "Twelve Days of Christmas". All the Carlings helped. Then, Brian and the kids all took over the family work while I spent hours each day working on the quilt. After visiting Paul at the beginning of the month, I felt so helpless but yet determined to do something for him. I put all of my love and care into the quilt and felt so much joy in including Mom in the project and presenting it to him yesterday. He is much weakened by the cancer and was in the hospital for pain management and hydration. His latest scan showed what we all feared. The cancer has spread everywhere and he will likely come home soon with hospice. Our visit yesterday was our chance, as a family, to express our love to our brother and just be with him. It was so bittersweet. We felt joy at being with him and gratitude for him in our lives, and yet could not hold back the tears at knowing that he would be leaving us soon. We all promised to watch over and assist DeLynn and the boys in whatever ways we can. How grateful we are for the knowledge that he will always be our brother and that families can be together forever. The Spirit was so strong and we felt that Paul was being called home to do a great work there. We are so proud of him and the life he has led. We will all try to follow his example of bravery and faith.
Now we move on to another year and another set of challenges and opportunities. I think I need another day to rest! For now, I'm just going to enjoy my vacation time at home with the family, Brian at home with me, and a little "these are a few of my favorite things" sung by Julie Andrews.
1 comment:
Hey Cath, looks like a fun christmas for all your kids. I love your quilt you made for Paul. It's beautiful and I know they will cherish it.
I'm glad I have your blog, now I can keep up with you.
Have a Happy New year!
Love ya,
Annie
Post a Comment